Climate change, wage stagnation, and rising costs of living. What if you could tackle all these issues at once?
At KDA Homes, we have set out to do just that. We’re leading the way in sustainability in Ashland, Oregon, crafting innovative, affordable communities by taking the following initiatives:
- Pricing our homes as much as 25% below the median housing cost in Ashland.
- Creating Oregon’s first community Shared Electric Vehicle program to promote fewer cars on the road while saving our community members thousands of dollars per year.
- Making all of our homes solar-powered, allowing you to generate and sell your own electricity while slashing your carbon footprint
- Using the highest industry standards for sustainability and eco-friendly building by meeting Earth Advantage Platinum and NW Energy Star standards.
- Designing our communities with drought-resistant landscaping and bee-friendly pollinator gardens.
- And much more!
Sustainability in Ashland, Oregon
But sustainability means so much more to us than a tagline or selling proposition; it means contributing to our future generations by building homes that promote a sustainable lifestyle long-term for as many people as possible.
And we aren’t the only ones making an effort in Ashland. We understand that in order to tackle the world’s most pressing issues, we must acknowledge and take inspiration from the successes of others.
So, we applaud the following sustainable initiatives taking place in Ashland.
The City of Ashland Renewable Energy Buy Back
Ashland was the first city in Oregon to adopt a net metering policy way back in 1996, paving the way for decentralized power in the state. Owners of small solar or wind systems are compensated at full retail cost for the excess electricity they produce!
Recology Ashland Composting
Food waste is a little known but enormous contributor to climate change. An estimated one-third of all food produced in the world is thrown away (WWF), along with all the resources consumed in its production. If it ends up in landfills, it contributes to gargantuan methane emissions.
In response, Recology Ashland has partnered with 31 Ashland and Talent businesses (Recology) to collect their food waste for high-quality compost that is resold.
Southern Oregon University
Through developments of its own building infrastructure, SOU has received multiple LEED Gold and Silver Certifications for its campus. The following are some of its most impressive sustainability initiatives:
- SOU sports over 1,000 photovoltaic panels across its campus, generating 315,000 kWh annually!
- It became the nation’s first-ever Bee Campus USA in 2015 by planting five pesticide-free pollinator gardens.
- It Adopted the Real Food Commitment, aiming to purchase at least 20% of its food from ecologically sound, humane, fair, and local/regionally sourced producers.
- Students can pay a self-imposed “Green Tag” fee of $13 per term, which has funded sustainable initiatives such as the SOU Farm and Stevenson Union solar installation.
- After the construction of its newest housing facility, it diverted a staggering 86% of its building waste from the landfill.
Are you ready to live in a sustainable community?
KDA Homes builds sustainable communities for a reason. We acknowledge that it is only through the joint efforts of neighborhoods, along with governments and private institutions that we can truly begin to tackle the environmental and economic issues facing current and future generations.
We are committed to making great housing more affordable, fighting climate change with every purchasing decision, and redistributing more money to local economies by reducing your costs day-to-day.
Ready to join the cause? Buy a KDA Home today!
Sustainable Homes Currently For Sale In Ashland, Oregon
ABOUT KDA HOMES
With over 100 years of combined experience, KDA Homes is committed to being pioneers in smarter home design leading the way for sustainability in residential development and green building. The company approaches every project with the end goal in mind – building a home for a new community to grow. KDA is a proud member of the Ashland community.